ROCKWOOL streamline project portfolio management with Project Online
A new model for managing projects raised the need for a new viable project and portfolio management tool to be implemented quickly.
Implementing a new model for managing projects ROCKWOOL encountered a need for a more detailed reporting on a more regular basis. The existing tools did not easily support the new model and challenged Head of Transformation for ROCKWOOL Digital Keith Bollington and his team to support the management forums in reporting and decision making.
They simply needed a new viable tool that could support the new Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) process sufficiently and they needed it quickly due to high administration load in PMO.
Keith and his team had identified the following “MUST HAVE” needs:
- Support the collection of ideas which then can be fed into the 5 stage model
- The idea/project can be moved through each stage of the model with checklists and approval gates
- The management and reporting of stages, project health, project finances, risks and issues
- Availability of project sites which provide a space to create and update all relevant project documentation
- The ability to easily build reports which support the needs of the forums for decision making
Project Online solution delivered in one month
After a quick assessment of qualified tools, Project Online was chosen as the tool.
“We took a meeting with ProActive where we set our objectives on what our “Must have” needs were. We emphasized we wanted to take the approach to be as “vanilla” as possible in order that we didn’t over complicate the solution. ProActive completely understood our needs and approach and built the solution within a month”, Keith Bollington says.
Rockwool went live soon after as a “Live” pilot solution.
The tool supports the stage gate model, forum model and project documentation.
Rockwool operates a “Live” system regarding the state of portfolio leading to only “single source of truth”. Previously the project reports and documentation would be updated monthly.
The fortnightly Transformation Forum meeting agenda and data is produced in minutes:
- Portfolio Health
- Amber Light projects
- Red Light projects
- Approval of projects passing the gates
Quarterly Board reporting is now being produced in minutes and has a presentation quality far superior to previous presentations.
All information on projects is held in one place, is easily accessible and forms a “single source of truth” for the project portfolio.